History Życie codzienne

We all know that history is tought different all over the world, but how is it tought by you?

For us, we learn about the golden ages, a time the Netherlands got really rich by trade and slaves and such. We also learn a bunch about wwII and Anne Frank.

I remember learning something about Egypt probably 5 years ago. Right now we are basically going through the timeline and obviously focus on Germany. We had the Industrialisation, "Social Question", Germanys Unification, Imperialism and at the moment the beginning of WWI and mainly the question whos fault it was. Next year we will learn more about WWI I think, and a lot about WWII too.
I think we also talked about the Black Power Movement at some point some years ago, but I honestly dont know whether in history or maybe in politics. We learned a few things about the USA in general, but that could have happened in English class too.
But I definetly remember learning about how Europeans entered America and slavery and such.

I dont remember a lot of what we learned really, so I also dont remember the subject we learned most of it in. Sorry, I hope I answered your question anyways. I know for sure that we never learned anything about the Netherlands.

Now that Lianshen reminded me of France: We also learned about the French Revolution. Twice, I think.

Edytowane przez Chaos .

We all know that history is tought different all over the world, but how is it tought by you?
History in France is basically a nice propaganda when you're repeated how bad were nazis and communist, how nice were the US for "saving us" and how jewish people suffered more than any others for about 7 years.

Else, you barely learn anything about the Athenian democracy (because we are a democracy ourselves, you see) without digging the topic the slightlest, and a tiny bit of French history before the XXth century before middle school.

Caution: That's only the perception of what I've been taught back then and I'm very glad that I don't have to do this crap anymore because it disgusted me from something I appreciate.

History in France is basically a nice propaganda when you're repeated how bad were nazis and communist, how nice were the US for "saving us" and how jewish people suffered more than any others for about 7 years.

Else, you barely learn anything about the Athenian democracy (because we are a democracy ourselves, you see) without digging the topic the slightlest, and a tiny bit of French history before the XXth century before middle school.

Caution: That's only the perception of what I've been taught back then and I'm very glad that I don't have to do this crap anymore because it disgusted me from something I appreciate.

Wow, we do not do that here. We learn about almost everything, screw propaganda. We get told 'okay, so this and this happened. Don't believe me? It says the exact same in historical documents. Slavery was bad and we are as a country very sorry for doing that, but we got rich and still are. WWII happened and many people died and starved before we got helped. The cold war happened, The old Egyptians were pretty good, so were the Romans. We learned a lot from our prehistoric days. Lots od stuff about the middle ages and the French revolution too.

Once upon a time, Aristotle said: "Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular." As a historian by profession, I could simply say : "Brutally accurate." Why does history act like a flipping coin? To answer such a question, I must recall famous quote from Hegel: " World history is a court of judgment." Now it fits together. Because, as nations, we individually like to sit in the chair of the judge, not of the culprit. Whereas history is nothing but cumulative memory of mankind.

___________________________________________________________________ 🌻 ______________________________

Is history important ? If so, for what ? (Learning ... Changing ?)

I am old now. To this day, I still wonder what my teachers were trying to teach me.
History was one of the subjects, along with maths, geography, sport and politics,
that significantly improved my school report average. I loved it ... still do!

🧙 "I'm pretty sure today that my teachers wanted to teach me MORE than I was
willing/admit to take in at those moments. Moreover, I know now that they knew
LESS than they realised in those moments. "

Edytowane przez Lir_Elhan .