What do you think about Japan's discharge of Fukushima nuclear sewage? Polityka i władza

It would be the disaster of the earth.
And I'm scared of this future.
What could we do? Could we stop it?

Don't worry, man! See, after Chernobyl there some people on that area, and even healthy to fight. Don't believe what says government on TV - first rule for surviver!

Don't worry, man! See, after Chernobyl there some people on that area, and even healthy to fight. Don't believe what says government on TV - first rule for surviver!
Thank you.
As far as I know, that time many communists paid the price of their lives. Some of them passed away soon, and part of them endured physical decay in hospital before they died.
Even if the Soviet Union disintegrated, we should not forget their contributions.

First thing first, Japan has no right to treat the ocean as its "private sewer." If things go bad radiologically and ecologically, there's no way to get the genie back in the bottle.

Lot of propaganda about what happened in Fukushima and nuclear energy in general. For instance, there are only 1, eventually 2, official death of radiations, t he others are mostly due to the panic in the evacuation.

Now, when it comes to the discharge, I think it has to be said that the sewage concern treated water, that the project has been checked and validated by the IAEA and it is a consensus that the effects wouldn't be perceptibles according to the actual plan (the concentration of pollutants would be roughly the same before/after the sewage in the pacific ocean). The only effect that has not been answered as of now is wether if the pollutants wouldn't concetrate in fish when going up the foodwebd; yet, if it's the case, then we would have to check at other discharges that have been performed or are being performed...

I'm very surprised that people are outraged and scared with Fukushima when this is a fairly well worked project with scientific support. Especially considering that there are a shit tons of more dangerous things happening around that potentially have a global impact (whereas this, at very best, would have a local impact only).
plus what should they do with the water? Store it in Japan? Couldn't that potentially be an issue as well ?

Edytowane przez Lianshen .

First thing first, Japan has no right to treat the ocean as its "private sewer." If things go bad radiologically and ecologically, there's no way to get the genie back in the bottle.
Yes, it make me anxious. Many people use seasalt.

I don't think so. The threat of nuclear radiation is obvious, as can be seen from many victims of radiation sickness. Nowadays, Prypiat is completely deserted. We cannot risk nuclear radiation and treat the Pacific Ocean as our sewer.

Since there is no so-called danger in nuclear wastewater, let the Japanese drink them all themselves.

既然核废水没有所谓的危险,那就让日本人自己喝吧。

Lot of propaganda about what happened in Fukushima and nuclear energy in general. For instance, there are only 1, eventually 2, official death of radiations, t he others are mostly due to the panic in the evacuation.

Now, when it comes to the discharge, I think it has to be said that the sewage concern treated water, that the project has been checked and validated by the IAEA and it is a consensus that the effects wouldn't be perceptibles according to the actual plan (the concentration of pollutants would be roughly the same before/after the sewage in the pacific ocean). The only effect that has not been answered as of now is wether if the pollutants wouldn't concetrate in fish when going up the foodwebd; yet, if it's the case, then we would have to check at other discharges that have been performed or are being performed...

I'm very surprised that people are outraged and scared with Fukushima when this is a fairly well worked project with scientific support. Especially considering that there are a shit tons of more dangerous things happening around that potentially have a global impact (whereas this, at very best, would have a local impact only).
plus what should they do with the water? Store it in Japan? Couldn't that potentially be an issue as well ?

However, excuse me, the fertility rate of Japan and what the country did in Chinese mainland during World War II made me doubt that Japanese government's attitude towards human existence and future world development. (Personal opinion only)

Edytowane przez Elea07 .

I don't think so. The threat of nuclear radiation is obvious, as can be seen from many victims of radiation sickness. Nowadays, Prypiat is completely deserted. We cannot risk nuclear radiation and treat the Pacific Ocean as our sewer.
I agree with you. Other humans, animals and plants in the world, even ordinary Japanese civilians have no obligation to pay for the problems repeatedly covered up by the Japanese authorities in Fukushima.

Edytowane przez Elea07 .

It's always good to apply this kind of principle, but ironically, the wildlife around Chernobyl manages to do somewhat well to the point that the long term exposure effects are still debated around the exclusion zone.
I'm not saying that there is nothing or that it's completely safe to go around, just that it might not be as bad as what we have in mind considering how the wildlife is doing.

However, excuse me, the fertility rate of Japan and what the country did in Chinese mainland during World War II made me doubt that Japanese government's attitude towards human existence and future world development. (Personal opinion only)
I can imagine your concerns as a Chinese, but the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) is an independent institution, not a japanese one. Furthermore, despite Japan still hold some habits, it is far from what it used to be back then. I'd argue that China is far worse when it comes to environmental issues and some human rights on the international scene. More than that, like I said, nobody complains about things that are more important and polluting than a well prepared project that is scientifically backed. For instance, living in city exposes you to more air pollutants that kill millions of people per year worldwide and nobody cares; plastic pollution ends up in microplastic you find absolutely everywhere including in people's body and it has a bunch of effects from fertility to mortality rate on humans which is also a global issue, and nobody cares, or not as much of "woww nuclear".

I agree with you. Other humans, animals and plants in the world, even ordinary Japanese civilians have no obligation to pay for the problems repeatedly covered up by the Japanese authorities in Fukushima.
Fukushima incident is fairly shared compared to what happened back then in Chernobyl (French authorities said that the nuclear cloud magically stopped at the french border at the time, lol) or even to some health issues happening recently... Once again, the project is not expected to increase the concentration level of pollutants in the ocean. If I remember well, the main ones are C-14 and Tritium. Among them, only tritium really is an issue as of today and it's expected that its concentration would be at normal ocean level few km ahead of the release area.
Thus, no worries about your sea-salt, you should be able to consume it without expecting bad surprise from Japan if it comes from chinese coast. The main concern would rather be if you eat fish because you can legitimately wonder if tritium couldn't concentrate in fish at the top of the foodchain after some preys feeding on the sewage site. This, I honestly don't think it would be much of an issue, but you can never really know in advance, but if it's really an issue, I believe chinese fishermen could potentially avoid the area, even if on their level, they don't really seem to respect anything since we foudn some in areas they shouldn't be in, just like japanese fishermen fishing whales for "scientific purposes".

It's always good to apply this kind of principle, but ironically, the wildlife around Chernobyl manages to do somewhat well to the point that the long term exposure effects are still debated around the exclusion zone.
I'm not saying that there is nothing or that it's completely safe to go around, just that it might not be as bad as what we have in mind considering how the wildlife is doing.

I can imagine your concerns as a Chinese, but the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) is an independent institution, not a japanese one. Furthermore, despite Japan still hold some habits, it is far from what it used to be back then. I'd argue that China is far worse when it comes to environmental issues and some human rights on the international scene. More than that, like I said, nobody complains about things that are more important and polluting than a well prepared project that is scientifically backed. For instance, living in city exposes you to more air pollutants that kill millions of people per year worldwide and nobody cares; plastic pollution ends up in microplastic you find absolutely everywhere including in people's body and it has a bunch of effects from fertility to mortality rate on humans which is also a global issue, and nobody cares, or not as much of "woww nuclear".

Fukushima incident is fairly shared compared to what happened back then in Chernobyl (French authorities said that the nuclear cloud magically stopped at the french border at the time, lol) or even to some health issues happening recently... Once again, the project is not expected to increase the concentration level of pollutants in the ocean. If I remember well, the main ones are C-14 and Tritium. Among them, only tritium really is an issue as of today and it's expected that its concentration would be at normal ocean level few km ahead of the release area.
Thus, no worries about your sea-salt, you should be able to consume it without expecting bad surprise from Japan if it comes from chinese coast. The main concern would rather be if you eat fish because you can legitimately wonder if tritium couldn't concentrate in fish at the top of the foodchain after some preys feeding on the sewage site. This, I honestly don't think it would be much of an issue, but you can never really know in advance, but if it's really an issue, I believe chinese fishermen could potentially avoid the area, even if on their level, they don't really seem to respect anything since we foudn some in areas they shouldn't be in, just like japanese fishermen fishing whales for "scientific purposes".

Thank you for your answer, I don't like fish, but I eat seaweed. I don't use sea salt now, instead of well salt.
Do you know Minamata disease incident in Japan in 1956? Take this as an example, I can't imagine whether it appeared secretly again.

Nuclear bath water, instead of dumping it, sell it

Thank you for your answer, I don't like fish, but I eat seaweed. I don't use sea salt now, instead of well salt.
Do you know Minamata disease incident in Japan in 1956? Take this as an example, I can't imagine whether it appeared secretly again.
Seaweed isn't at the top of the chain, so it should be ok. For the Minamata incident, I didn't know it, but that's typically some of the "most important" things happening, because there is a shit tons of pollutants nobody care about, blaming nuclear first (typically the air pollution in China is probably a few millions of Chinese people per year in indifference, and same goes in Europe or the US. Heavy metal pollutants are still a thing in many places, microplastic became a lobal issues and can be found absolutely everywhere even in the womb of pregnant women etc.).
I doubt that such a mediatized thing as Fukushima, backed by a framed project, would be cancer in disguise. Japan would have too much to loose at doing this.

Seaweed isn't at the top of the chain, so it should be ok. For the Minamata incident, I didn't know it, but that's typically some of the "most important" things happening, because there is a shit tons of pollutants nobody care about, blaming nuclear first (typically the air pollution in China is probably a few millions of Chinese people per year in indifference, and same goes in Europe or the US. Heavy metal pollutants are still a thing in many places, microplastic became a lobal issues and can be found absolutely everywhere even in the womb of pregnant women etc.).
I doubt that such a mediatized thing as Fukushima, backed by a framed project, would be cancer in disguise. Japan would have too much to loose at doing this.
Surprise! (No!) The news said that the harmful substances in nuclear waste water discharged from Fukushima exceeded the standard by six times🙁
Japanese government could not trust.

Surprise! (No!) The news said that the harmful substances in nuclear waste water discharged from Fukushima exceeded the standard by six times🙁
Japanese government could not trust.
Firstly, which standard? The international one? Then it would be 10000Bq/L for drinking water according to the WHO. The Japanese national standard? Then it would be 60000Bq/L.
Then another question would rise: Which water exactly? The one that is about to be discharged? The surface water at the discharge site? The surface water near the discharge site? The surface water a few km away..?

Also, why can't I find your news anywhere? The only I've found is that the water discharged was actually at 1500Bq/L, which is... more than 6 times less than the international standard for drinking water.

Really, the problem with this discharge or nuclear power in general is in people's mind and fear of nuclear more than nuclear danger itself. Tritium is released by some plants all over the world, China or France included. I'd honestly feel better living in Fukushima than in any big city, close to a chemical factory or a coal plant.

ps: If you don't believe that CHina release radionucleids, here a picture that basically sum the discharges:
https://fukushima-updates.reconstruction.go.jp/assets/en/img/fukushimafaq/fk_260/2115x1252.jpg
Not how France is high, and still nobody complain about 3 eyed fish in the English channel.

这不是日本人民的错,而是JP政府的错,这是鞠躬(道歉)精神的榜样(典范)。